Friday, August 7, 2009

PR intern learns about seeking opportunity

This summer I had the opportunity to intern in Clearwater, Fla., at Tech Data Corporation. Tech Data is ranked 102nd on the FORTUNE 500 list and is one of the world's largest distributors of technology products from leading IT hardware and software producers. They gave me the opportunity to dabble in any area of the Creative Marketing Division that interests me. I shadowed and worked with the public relations manager, worked alongside the events team during the planning and execution of major corporate events, and I also wrote stories and e-mails that were published on the internal Web site and distributed to our partners in Europe. It was exciting to get to dip my feet into various fields and get an idea of what most interests me.

I learned that experience is invaluable, every person you work with has knowledge and experience to share if you ask them, and questions are proof you want to learn more. I think the most important thing I learned is that when opportunity isn’t knocking on your door it’s your responsibility to go and find it.

No comments: